Community Team at The Pointe is our performance group that will represent The Pointe at various community events throughout the Cedar Rapids area! Dancers will rehearse on Thursday evenings during the summer (our first performance for the 2018-2019 season is August 4!) and Wednesday afternoons 4:45-5:30 during the school year.
Dancers age 6-18 may audition for a spot on our Community Team!
Read about the commitments needed to participate in Community Team here:
2019-2020 Community Team Requirements
Benefits of Community Team at The Pointe:
- Positive body image
- Physical fitness – increased strength, flexibility, and stamina
- Exposure to different dance & teaching styles
- Stage experience, which builds artistry
- Accelerated dance training
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Time management skills
- Personal responsibility
- Training for good sportsmanship
- Strong work ethic
- Lifelong friendships
- Problem-solving skills
- Quick learning and retention of choreography and corrections
- Social skills
- Dance team bonding
- Opportunity for leadership within the team
- Sense of belonging in a group
- Practicing goal-setting individually and as a team, and creating plans to achieve those goals
- Skills for encouraging others – members of their own dance team as well as younger/older dancers
- Drive for excellence
- Multiple performing opportunities
- Becoming a role model for other dancers at the studio and in the community
Having a GREAT Audition
What to expect at the audition
- Auditions are like a dance class without a warmup. Arrive early to warm up and stretch. Wear a leotard, dance shorts, tan tights, jazz shoes, and a neat bun.
- Dancers will learn a short routine and perform that multiple times in small groups.
- Auditions are fun and friendly! Every dancer will be encouraged to do their best and enjoy the experience.
Having a great audition
- Plan ahead! Plan your ride, outfit, and arrival to leave plenty of time for stretching and warming up.
- Relax and have fun! This is a friendly, positive experience and a GREAT preparation for other audition experiences. “Learn the ropes” about auditioning in a safe environment!
What if I don’t make it or make the group I wanted? A note for dancers and their parents:
- Not everyone who auditions will be ready for Community Team. Some dancers may be members one year, but not another.
- There is something to be learned from every audition, regardless of the outcome. Dancers who are not selected this time should be encouraged to keep dancing and try again next season! Dancers who are selected for our competitive dance team should be humbled by the opportunity and gracious towards others. Attitudes at the end of auditions can reveal more than the actual audition itself and make a lasting impression… make yours a good one!
- Audition results are final. Students are welcome to ask for feedback for improvement after auditions, however, requests for a re-evaluation of placement by students or parents will not be accepted. We are preparing dancers for real-world experiences, and gaining experience dealing with exciting successes and tough disappointments in a safe environment will benefit them in their future.