Happy Friday, PSD Families! This Friday FYI is our primary method of communication to studio families – please save it for a time when you can read through it thoroughly and bookmark it for reference!
New & Urgent this week:
– Holiday Showcase Registration is due TOMORROW, November 12, by 10 PM! (See all info and register here)
– Thank you for an AWESOME Parent Appreciation Week! We had SO MUCH FUN getting to share our classes with parents who came in! We hope you enjoyed the lobby treats, discounts on parent gear (those are open through Monday, 11/14!), and thank you messages from your dancers. We appreciate you always, and loved sharing some special focus on that this week 🙂
Find all of the important dates for the year here: www.thepointeschool.com/policies – we list upcoming dates within the next few weeks in every Friday FYI as well for your convenience!
- November 12 – Holiday Showcase Registrations Due (see below!)
- November 14-19 – Curriculum Check-In (Graded Technique classes)
- November 14 – Holiday Showcase Tickets Go On Sale (starting at 10 AM CST – we’ll email a link and update the Holiday Showcase page when the ticketing site is ready!)
- November 21-27 – Thanksgiving Break – Studio closed – no classes, boutique, or front desk hours
- November 25 – December auto-pay processed
- December 17 – Holiday Showcase Dress Rehearsals (schedule in showcase handbook)
- December 18 – Holiday Showcase (shows at 1 and 3 PM, details in showcase handbook)
It is time to start preparing for our annual Holiday Showcase! Though fall has just begun, we are ready to share with you our plans to dance into the Holiday Season with joy and cheer! Everything you need to know about this special performance is on the Holiday Showcase website. Please read the handbook thoroughly and keep it for your reference as we get planning the showcase! Dancers in select classes ages 3 and up are invited to perform in this optional, festive, informal showcase! This is a great way for dancers to gain some performance experience and celebrate the holidays before we start in-class preparations for our formal June Recital.
All Holiday Showcase Information will be posted and continuously updated on our Showcase webpage – thepointeschool.com/holiday-2022
Graded technique classes (Levels 1+) will receive a midyear evaluation from their instructors in mid-December. Teachers are working on these now, and utilize a Curriculum Check-In next week as an opportunity to hone in and observe progress on key skills before they send feedback home. We know that students and parents really value specific, individual feedback from their instructors – and receiving written feedback really emphasizes important points. This is a big undertaking for our teachers, and we are so thankful for their dedication to providing excellent instruction in class and support for their students in working toward their goals outside of class time. At The Pointe, we have one of the most involved evaluations and recommendation processes in the dance studio industry!
Dancers in levels 5 and up will also complete self-evaluations in class soon. The purpose of this evaluation is to give each dancer an opportunity for self-reflection as we approach the midpoint of the season. All of the elements of this evaluation will be included in the spring evaluation and placement recommendations. We believe students at this level have the ability and responsibility to be active and accountable in their own progress, so we want to hear how each dancer thinks their season is going, and how we can continue to help them reach their goals.
Now that our classes are off to a great start, we are ready to offer trial classes for new-to-The-Pointe families – and we have a sweet deal for you if you refer a friend to our program! Families can schedule a trial class easily using this link!
When a family you’ve referred signs up, please have them list your name in the “Where did you hear about us?” form in online registration. We will send them a $20 gift card to our boutique to help them get the gear their dancer needs for class – and as a thank you, we’ll send one to you, too! Trial classes are easy to schedule online, and are FREE for a limited time!
- Click the links on your phone to download the BAND app and join these groups 🙂
- Please join the Studio-wide BAND here: https://band.us/n/aba6607526O3B
- If your dancer is in COMPANY, please join the Company BAND here: https://band.us/n/a4ac627b2aNdR (dancers can and should join, too!)
- If your dancer is in COMMUNITY TEAM, please join the CT BAND here: https://band.us/n/a7a9687a26O1J (dancers can and should join, too!)
- Families have received an email with a unique link to join the BAND group for each class – if you’ve joined us after that message went out, please find your dancer’s instructor after class to get access or shoot us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll get you added!
We’ve added another easy method of communication to get relevant information directly to families – right on your phone!
Studio Lobby & Lounge
We ask that families limit lobby visitors to one parent per child if you’ll be waiting in the lobby during class. We also ask that families ONLY have food in the lounge, and to pick up after eating. We have wipes, paper towels, and a small broom/dustpan in the lounge so the space can stay nice and neat for the next group to use the space.
How to get connected at The Pointe!
We love our studio community and truly work with the best families in Cedar Rapids. We know that it takes a village to raise up awesome kids, and our studio community can be a part of your village. We have a private Facebook group just for studio families – click here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1921735994748769 Please also join our studio-wide BAND app: https://band.us/n/aba6607526O3B (dancers, too!)
Attendance in class is crucial for dancers to learn and grow. We can only teach students who are in class 🙂 However, we know that things happen and kids may need to miss occasionally. To report an absence so your instructor knows what’s going on with your dancer, follow the steps in this 40-second video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nstwEOf7e58&list=PLZkeFgMt7mR63GMRqwjdoIM8-U1mxAx-3&index=2
Boutique & Front Desk Hours
We’re happy to help ! We catch up on studio voicemails, emails, and are available at the front desk from 4:30-7:00 Monday through Thursday, and 9:00 AM – Noon on Saturday mornings.
Students who are dressed for dance perform and progress better in class! Find out what your dancer needs for their classes and easily order online here: www.theturningpointeboutique.com
Studio Policies & Full Calendar
Our Policies & Calendar for the 2022-2023 School year is online! Here you will find all the dates needed to plan a successful season, as well as all policies that help keep our studio running smoothly. You can find the Policies and Calendar on our website here: www.thepointeschool.com/policies
Have a wonderful weekend!
– Miss Vanessa & your PSD Staff